The Donald M. Johnson Native American Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic quality, promise of achievement, and in some instances, on financial need. It is designed to provide tangible encouragement and public recognition to students.
- Must have minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- Must have American Indian heritage
- Must be enrolled at West Valley or Mission College
- Must include a concise statement of educational and professional goals (see personal statement form)
- Must submit 2 letters of recommendation:
- Community reference
- Faculty or staff member of college or high school.
- Please print, complete and submit the Donald M. Johnson Native American Scholarship Application form by Friday, Sept. 27 , to Michelle Reed in the Social Sciences Division (408-741-4029).
- Ask two (2) people who know you well to complete the Scholarship Recommendation forms. It is suggested that one recommendation be from an educator.
- Submit completed West Valley/ Mission College Donald M.
Johnson Native American Scholarship Application form to Michelle Reed in the Social Sciences Division (741-4029). Respond
to essay questions ONLY. Do NOT submit additional
Be sure to answer ALL questions. Do not leave blank spaces.
Be sure to list your tribe, your major, and your GPA.
- Recommender: print your letter on your letterhead, place in envelope, seal and sign over seal prior to returning it to the student.
- Student: mail all materials to:
Valley College/ Native American Scholarship
c/o Michelle Reed
Social Sciences Division
14000 Fruitvale Avenue
Saratoga, CA 95070-5698
TRANSCRIPT INFORMATION, RECOMMENDATION FORMS, AND RELEASE
MUST BE SUBMITTED BY Friday, Sept. 27
COLLECT AND SUBMIT ALL PORTIONS OF THE APPLICATION (INCLUDING THE REC. LETTERS) IN A FOLDER OR LARGE ENVELOPE.
TO TURN IN ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS WILL RESULT IN
YOUR APPLICATION NOT BEING ACCEPTED OR REVIEWED
FOR SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION.